Traditional Oatmeal Recipe: You Won’t Regret it!
As dietitians and food lovers, we are always asking people to have oatmeal for breakfast. And the reaction is always quite blank with a nod of “yeah, sure I’ll have oatmeal.” And then I ask “have you had it before?” and there’s always one of two answers:
- Yes, it tastes like cardboard.
- No, how do you make that stuff.
But, because I really love oatmeal and it tastes great if you prepare it right, I’m going to share with you a very basic recipe that actually tastes super good.
But before we get started, what are the benefits of oatmeal?
The benefits mainly come from it’s whole grain properties which include:
- High fiber content
- Keeps you fuller for longer
- Lowers cholesterol
- Strengthens your immune system
- Serves as antioxidant against physiological stress
- Promotes digestive health and many more
The simple and delicious oatmeal recipe:
- 1/3 cup oats
- 3/4 cup skimmed milk
- 1 small banana
- Almonds and walnuts for garnish
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
Method of preparation:
- Place the oats in a small pan over low heat and add in the milk.
- Stir the oats and milk to make sure the oats are submerged.
- Make sure the oats are on low heat, on the side, mash the banana in a bowl.
- Turn off the stove after 4 minutes of cooking.
- Place the oats in the banana bowl and mix in the cinnamon.
- Add the garnish that you like, almonds and walnuts are my favorite with this mix.
|In 1 serving|
Here’s a short video of how we did it:
Stay tuned for more oatmeal recipes soon including overnight oats for those who like breakfasts on the cooler side. For an on-the-go delicious baked oat cups recipe that you can prepare ahead of time check out this recipe by our co-founder dietitian Nadeen Haidar.
Baraa El Sabbagh
Latest posts by Baraa El Sabbagh (see all)
- 6 Super Seeds to Add to Your Diet - November 5, 2017
- ChefXChange: What a concept! - September 15, 2017
- Casper & Gambini’s Fit n’ Healthy Menu by Healthy Happy Us - July 25, 2017