Hummus, Falafel, & the Rest of the Legumes! What’s the Deal?
We love our traditions. Especially when it comes down to food. We always hear our parents boasting about the benefits or even reminiscing over a legumes dish! You guessed it, they’ve been right and have had the right to boast all along.
Legumes consist of chickpeas, beans, soybeans, lentils, lupines, carob flour, and peas. What’s so magical? They’re excellent sources of vegetarian protein especially in comparison to red meat which are marbleized with fat. These proteins are rich in fiber, yes that one component that fights cholesterol, helps you stay full for longer, and aids your digestion process. And a component that concerns most, legumes are very low in fats (1.8-2.6 grams per 100 grams)! At the same time, they’re rich in vitamins and minerals including, folate, potassium, magnesium, iron, copper, and manganese.
Studies over the years revealed that eating beans daily is a practice that can decrease diseases and conditions accountable for 48% of deaths worldwide ! These conditions include diabetes type 2, colorectal cancer, cardiovascular disease, overweight and obesity as well as abnormal cholesterol levels.
In fact, our Mediterranean legume traditions are quite a trend in the western world where hummus and falafel are always a must-have! They’ve also proved to be quite useful in times when you want to cook on a budget, a can of chickpeas is less than a $1 and serves 2 plates. And you could do so many variations with the recipes!
Here’s one of our favorite chickpea breakfast recipes: Balila, serves 2 plates
- 1 can of chickpeas
- ¼ cup squeeze lemon
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 3 mashed cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup chopped tomato for garnish
- Drain the chickpeas can and boil in water for 10 minutes.
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl, keeping ¼ cup of the boiled water.
- Add the lemon, olive oil, garlic and mix well.
- Top it with chopped tomato for garnish.
Baraa El Sabbagh
Latest posts by Baraa El Sabbagh (see all)
- 6 Super Seeds to Add to Your Diet - November 5, 2017
- ChefXChange: What a concept! - September 15, 2017
- Casper & Gambini’s Fit n’ Healthy Menu by Healthy Happy Us - July 25, 2017